Please find below answers to common questions about using this site.
- How do I find my next read?
- How do I search for an item at a particular level?
- What are the reading levels?
- What is SMOG?
- How do I recommend a read?
- I'm a publisher, how can I get items added to Find a Read?
- How else does The Reading Agency support adult readers and adult literacy students?
- What is Find a Read?
- How do I get in touch?
If we don't answer your question here, please do contact us.
How do I find my next read?
There are a number of ways you can find your next read:
- Go to the homepage of the site.
- Use the search box and enter the title of a book, name of an author, publisher or use a key word and click on search.
- Use advanced search to be more specific, for example search by reading level or use an ISBN number.
- Use the left hand column to browse by category, reading format or reading level.
How do I search for an item at a particular level?
Use advanced search and search by level or SMOG.
What are the reading levels?
The reading levels are mapped against the Adult Literacy Core Curriculum for England and Wales.
- Pre-Entry: none or minimal text that use images to tell a story.
- Entry 1-2: texts that use everyday common words.
- Entry 3: texts that use longer words and sentences.
- Level 1: texts that use a wider range of words and sentence structures.
- Level 2: texts that are more complex and demanding.
Find out more about the levels: Adult Literacy Core Curriculum.
What is SMOG?
SMOG is a Simple Measure of Gobbledygook and a formula you can use to judge how readable is a piece of text. Find out more about how we use the SMOG formula when you recommend a read.
How do I recommend a read?
Visit recommend a read and send in the details.
I'm a publisher, how can I get items added to Find a Read?
We have to review each item before it is added to the database and would love to view your material. Please do contact us.
How else does The Reading Agency support adult readers and adult literacy students?
Visit The Reading Agency website to find out about our adult projects.
What is Find a Read?
Find a Read is a unique and free online searchable database that helps you find your next read, specifically for adults who are less confident readers. It is run by The Reading Agency.
Find out more about Find a Read.
How do I get in touch?
Find out how to contact us.